Chiptune Forums

Please login or register in order to post. Guests cannot post here!
Do not register to advertise sites; if you do that you will get an IP & email ban!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chiptune Forums

Please login or register in order to post. Guests cannot post here!
Do not register to advertise sites; if you do that you will get an IP & email ban!

Chiptune Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chiptune Forums

Nightmare's Chiptune Forums

4 posters

ZX Spectrum favourite songs

Nightmare
    Nightmare
    Deity
    Deity

ZX Spectrum favourite songs Empty ZX Spectrum favourite songs

Post  Nightmare Sun May 24, 2009 4:40 am

ZX Spectrum favourite songs Zxspectrum_48k

Post your favourite ZX Spectrum songs here.Here goes a nice compo:

Last edited by Nightmare on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Graedius
    Graedius
    Admin
    Admin

ZX Spectrum favourite songs Empty Re: ZX Spectrum favourite songs

Post  Graedius Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:37 am

This thing has some really cool sounding music, but would you believe I've never actually even heard one, or seen one in reality before! In fact, I don't think I knew anything about it until this forum came along. x3 It has some pretty amazing sound capabilities, though. I wonder if there's a tracker to simulate it~?
    E-1
    E-1
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  E-1 Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi there Very Happy

I'd say that ZX Spectrum's soundchip (AY series) isn't really similar to the C64 SID.
    It provides 3 voices with frequency and envelope controlls, each voice being doubled by a noise generator also featuring an envelope. No filters, nothing fancy. Tracker software provides aditional modulation, like arpegios and envelope retriggering.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AY-3-8912

SoundTracker for the ZX Spectrum:

A lot of ZX Spectrum clones don't feature the AY chip (wich is a later adition on the ZX itself), leaving the user with just a buzzer - 1bit sound. However, interesting results can come up from that as well, as it can be heard in Chronos - a classic game:

Software using buzzer: Wham!(2 tracks "poliphony), ZX-7 (imitates 8 voice poliphony!), Opus1 (probably the best sound).

There were also various extension interfaces available, such as Currah MicroSpeech (speech synthesis) or the SpecDrum (sampled percussion). Here's a track from ZX Spectrum Orchestra wich features MicroSpeech:

As for emulation of the AY/YM series, you might wanna look into the Atari ST VSTi plugin: http://www.preromanbritain.com/ymvst/
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  Admin Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:04 pm

I said that SID is similar to the ZX chip because the way I've heard it in ZX music it sounded like SID(probably identical waveforms), unlike the chip on the NES which is based on the square wave type.
    E-1
    E-1
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post  E-1 Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

I doubt that.
    Editable parameters in SoundTracker for each "sample" (that's what it's called, actually it's a voice preset / tracker instrument definition) are just envelopes for wave & noise (step-based envelope, not ADSR) and pitch (also for each step).
    I'd say there are some PWM capabilities too, judging by hearing (I haven't been digging too deep, though I can hear some nice "fizzy" waves Very Happy ), but that's pretty much it.
    No waveform selection (sounds like squarewave to me). Arpegios/retriggering are partially pre-set (called "ornaments").

Now, SID filter sounds quite discrete in the original hardware environment, not to mention that a lot of chiptune music uses fast arpegio techniques (1/32, 1/64, or faster - it's a "signature" sound for chiptunes). Therefore the resemblance Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content